A fatal accident that took the life of one man was completely preventable, according to the Department of Buildings. A construction worker was killed at Times Square in New York when he plummeted 18 feet to the ground. The man was 59 years old, and it was a non-union work site. Such construction workers' accidents are always sad to hear about.
According to the report, the man fell off of an I-beam while he was trying to remove part of a deck made of steel. The deck was on a slab at the job site. He succumbed to his injuries later at the hospital. But the Buildings Commissioner says that the accident did not have to happen. Although the man was wearing his personal protection equipment, there were no tie offs for him to use.
The company that was named on the city permits was issued with seven different violations last year from the U.S. Occupation Safety and Health Administration. These came after complaints that the work conditions were unsafe at the location where the man was killed. They are currently contesting $19,200 in fines that are tied to those violations.
A stop work order has now been placed on the job site, and the operation is expected to be shut down for a long time. The DOB will be investigating the incident, and inspections will be increased all across New York. A new mandatory safety training bill is also expected to pass soon. Those who have been injured or lost loved ones due to construction workers' accidents have the right to consult with personal injury attorneys. Such attorneys can help litigate for clients to receive the compensation they need.
Source: therealdeal.com, "Construction worker???s death at Times Square site was ???completely preventable,??? DOB commissioner says", April 13, 2017