One woman lived through torture as a medication mistake caused her skin to literally melt off. In a recent lawsuit, the 26-year-old claims that both her doctor and her pharmacist failed to catch a dosage issue that caused devastating medical issues for her. She is now suing for medical malpractice and hopes that her story may warn others. While this took place in another state, similar medical malpractice cases are fought in New York every year.
The woman who filed the suit says that, when she looks into a mirror, she cannot even recognize herself. She explains that, in 2014, she visited her physician's office and was given a prescription of lamotrigine for depression. According to her lawsuit, the dosage that the doctor prescribed was too high, and the pharmacy failed to realize it. She began to break out in blisters all over her skin within two weeks.
The woman describes the excruciating pain and says that she felt like she was on fire. She was soon diagnosed with a condition called Steven Johnson Syndrome, which is a rare skin disorder usually caused by an incorrect dosage of medication. She is now scarred all over from the burns to her skin. Her sweat glands have melted, her fingernails are permanently gone, and she is losing her eyesight.
According to the FDA, medical malpractice from medication errors has increased by 462 percent since 2010. Anyone in New York who has suffered because of a medication error may benefit from consulting with a personal injury lawyer. This type of attorney can guide the client in how to file a suit and seek compensation for any medical bills, lost time from work, emotional trauma and other damages.
Source: 13wmaz.com, "Woman's skin 'melts off' after medication error", Andy Pierrotti and Julie Wolfe, May 9, 2017